Monday, June 1, 2009

Short Update

Unfortunately, there are no fancy pictures to go with this post. I had a long week. I got to travel around the county with one of my three supervisors, Dorothy. We did a little bonding. We went out to eat really good food from a town in the southern part of Chesterfield County called McBee. We had peach enchiladas for dessert. Out of all places, I would've never though McBee, SC could have the word "enchilada" in any of their dishes, but apparently it is part of the food culture here. I don't even know what an enchilada is! But the dessert was good, it had like a bread-tasting wrap with a peach filling. My writing doesn't do it justice, but it was delicious. I saw a lot of Latinos working at the restaurant and they stared at me hard!! I have this interesting feeling towards them because they seem so happy and relieved to see someone like them, and I feel like I must do something... to help? Maybe to help them, but more to acknowledge, almost like saying "I understand," " I see you," " I know you." They look at me and they search for those words, but how do I tell them that I do acknowledge them? I end up feeling so confused.
We had $20 for lunch, which seemed to be more than enough, since we got to eat dessert and everything. The whole excursion to this restaurant (I can't remember its name) reminded me of how when I was little I used to go buy groceries with my cousin, and we would count the money to make sure we'll have enough change to buy candy. Dorothy is a nice lady; she is a little quiet like me, but that's because she has a lot in her mind (Is that line from a movie?). When I talk to her I always think she's younger, like a little girl. She has that kind of energy I guess. On our way back, we stopped at a lake, and she told me all about her family's trips to the lake. The lanscapes were so pretty and peaceful!
Storytime is always busy. The kids get to dance a little, sing, and laugh. There are usually around 15 kids in story time. My favorite part is at the end of the story when everything makes sense to the kids and they laugh because they understood. There is a chance that I might get to teach them a little Spanish.
Back at the office, time goes by quickly because I just call places to confirm information. I had a lot of trouble with AA. I ended up dialing the wrong number and asking for information on AA; I'm sure the person that answered thought I must be insane, so "soft-spoken" asking about AA. I still haven't got in contact with a person that would give me the information.
So after the quick update from last week... Today! I met a man, James, who works with the men who are in jail but do community service, and he thought I was white! I'm not sure how he thought that, but then he said he knew me from somewhere and he took a long time to try and remember from where. He spoke to Dorothy and I didn't understand a word they said to each other; those are the times I feel most foreign. Me and Dorothy spent all day together working on the summer reading program gift bags and crafts. We talk a lot now.
Nancy and Stormi came to have lunch with me today, pleasant surprise.
....will continue tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment